Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Carmel Mayor James Brainard: Critics of Assault Case Envy with Jealousy

While listening to Abdul Hakim-Shabazz's morning radio show on WXNT, I heard a soundbite from this story on WTHR:

Carmel Mayor James Brainard said jealously is fueling intrigue into charges against four former high school basketball players accused in assaults on younger teammates.

...

"I think it gets sometimes more attention because it's Carmel," Brainard told 6News' Joanna Massee. "I think that the community is an affluent community, so sometimes I think … when something doesn't go perfectly, or doesn't go right, that it gets more attention than that same sort of thing might get somewhere else."

...

"I didn't sit on that jury. I didn't read the police reports and I haven't heard the witnesses' statements, and I haven't heard the defense attorney cross-examine those witnesses," he said. "None of us are in a position to make an informed judgment. We need to let that process work."


You can read the full story here. I imagine the video will be up momentarily, though it wasn't working for me at the time of this posting.

Brainard apparently hasn't done any reading on this investigation that has been going on for several months. But he has done enough research into the people doing the reporting and giving opinions to deduct that it all stems from jealousy.

I haven't been following Brainard too closely since I've been keeping up with politics in 2009. Does he always make these ignorant statements?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please see the Indy Student Blog Policies page for the full policy on blog comments. Verification of comments by typing in a random word is required to prevent spam. Due to recent blog inactivity, comments are now pre-screened to prevent spam advertisement.