Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tea Party Rally Butchers Pledge to Score Political Points

I stopped by the Tea Party rally that was held earlier today in downtown Indianapolis. I was at the Kill the Bill rally earlier in the year, and generally felt that it was a well organized event. This one was much more low key, and I had several informational conversations with groups that had tables set up, and I left shortly after the first speaker started. But what stuck in my mind after I left was what happened during the Pledge of Allegiance.

I'm a believer that the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem should generally be done in a respectful manner, with the bare minimum being to use the respective anthems as written without adding additional words.

I wasn't surprised when the reciter of the Pledge mentioned a court case where the phrase "Under God" was challenged and the speaker emphasized how it doesn't harm religious liberty. And that, I'm fine with. He said it before the Pledge started. But when he got to "Under God", he stopped, said a few sentences about the phrase's importance to him, and then instructed everyone to shout "Under God" two or three times as if it was some sort of sports cheer. I found them very disrespectful, and it was a stark contrast to the very well done National Anthem that preceded the Pledge.

I enjoyed the time I spent at the rally and found it different than the standard anti-Obama/Pelosi/Reid ones that tend to get media attention. But next time, maybe the organizers should have a rehersal to make sure the Pledge and the National Anthem are done in a respectful manner. And if Patriot Paul wants to talk about the Pledge, give him a speaking slot. Don't do it in the middle of the Pledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please see the Indy Student Blog Policies page for the full policy on blog comments. Verification of comments by typing in a random word is required to prevent spam. Due to recent blog inactivity, comments are now pre-screened to prevent spam advertisement.